The statistics of the trauma of sexual abuse and violence against children and women are astounding by any measure.
- One in six women (roughly 17% of the female population) has experienced rape or attempted rape at some point in their lives.
- Women who have experienced sexual or physical abuse as a child are up to four times more likely to experience depression as an adult.
- It is reported that 50% of women who seek mental health care have experienced sexual or physical abuse or both.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, substance abuse, and anxiety are the most common forms of mental health disorders experienced by sexual and physical abuse victims.
- Abuse survivors often experience feelings of shame, isolation, shock, confusion, and guilt.